Money versus Wisdom
1) God never assured money for “you” (the believer) but certainly offers “wisdom” to those who ask:
“If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.” (James 1:5)
2) Wisdom comes from the LORD.
“For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” (Proverbs 2:6)
3) Some may be able to “buy” (with money) the “words of Wisdom” but will “not” be able to “understand” it.
“Why should fools have money in hand to buy wisdom, when they are not able to understand it?” (Proverbs 17:16)
4) Money is a “protection” (security) but it will “not” preserve your life – either here but definitely “not” in the afterlife:
“For wisdom is protection just as money is protection, But the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom preserves the lives of its possessors.” (Ecclesiastes 7:12)
5) Wisdom is better than Money.
“How much better it is to get wisdom than gold! And to get understanding is to be chosen above silver.” (Proverbs 16:16)
6) Wisdom is far better and beyond any “worldly desire” (including money, wife, possessions etc. –> these ‘desires’ are worldly as opposed to being heavenly since “none” of these will exist in His Kingdom, for example, “no marriages” in the Resurrection).
“for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her.” (Proverbs 8:11)
7) Where is Wisdom? Only God alone knows as these ‘long’ set of verses testify:
“12But where can wisdom be found?
Where does understanding dwell?
13No mortal comprehends its worth;
it cannot be found in the land of the living.
14The deep says, “It is not in me”;
the sea says, “It is not with me.”
15It cannot be bought with the finest gold,
nor can its price be weighed out in silver.
16It cannot be bought with the gold of Ophir,
with precious onyx or lapis lazuli.
17Neither gold nor crystal can compare with it,
nor can it be had for jewels of gold.
18Coral and jasper are not worthy of mention;
the price of wisdom is beyond rubies.
19The topaz of Cush cannot compare with it;
it cannot be bought with pure gold.
20Where then does wisdom come from?
Where does understanding dwell?
21It is hidden from the eyes of every living thing,
concealed even from the birds in the sky.
22Destruction and Death say,
“Only a rumor of it has reached our ears.”
23God understands the way to it
and He alone knows where it dwells,
24for He views the ends of the earth
and sees everything under the heavens.” (Job 28:12 – 24)
8) Want to acquire Wisdom? The beginning of it is this:
“And He (God) said to the human race,
“The fear of the Lord—that is wisdom,
and to shun evil is understanding.” (Job 28:28)
9) Wisdom declares that “she” was the “first” among the works of God (read these verses):
“22“The Lord brought me (Wisdom) forth as the first of His works,
before His deeds of old;
23I was formed long ages ago,
at the very beginning, when the world came to be.
24When there were no watery depths, I was given birth,
when there were no springs overflowing with water;
25before the mountains were settled in place,
before the hills, I was given birth,
26before He made the world or its fields
or any of the dust of the earth.
27I was there when He set the heavens in place,
when He marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,
28when He established the clouds above
and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,
29when He gave the sea its boundary
so the waters would not overstep His command,
and when He marked out the foundations of the earth.
30Then I was constantly at His side.
I was filled with delight day after day,
rejoicing always in His presence,
31rejoicing in His whole world
and delighting in mankind.” (Proverbs 8:22 – 31)
10) Who created her (wisdom)? Lord Jesus Christ as these verses declare:
“but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.” (1 Corinthians 1:24)
“For by Him (Jesus) all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities– all things have been created through Him and for Him.” (Colossians 1:16)
11) The World doesn’t know about it.
“For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know Him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.” (1 Corinthians 1:21)
12) Source of All Wisdom of God – Christ Jesus – including the Great Mysteries of God Himself. He has hidden it in Christ; so, in order to know these Secrets of God, one must first believe and know Christ the Lord.
“Because they are united in love, I work so that they may be encouraged by all the riches that come from a complete understanding of Christ. He is the mystery of God.
God has hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge in Christ.” (Colossians 2:2 – 3)
13) Yet, the world does “not” know Him.
“He (Jesus) was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.” (John 1:10)
14) The “wise” will shine like “stars”.
“Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars to the age, permanently” (Daniel 12:3).