Default Feature Image for Post

To be Rich or Poor?

Is being rich a blessing while being poor a curse?
No! (the contrary is true).

Think deeper.

There was a famous quote highlighting that it’s not about insufficient wealth (or probably resource) on earth (as often used to blame God for it), but rather that “almost all wealth” is owned by “extremely few” people (unequal distribution which causes the ‘silent majority’ to lack greatly).

All these problems arise from lack of love and selfishness having their root in the “love of money”.

Here’s a reputable quote by Oxfam itself recent on this issue:

“by next year, 1% of the world’s population will own more wealth than the other 99%.”

Here’s another interesting quote:

“Oxfam made headlines at Davos last year with a study showing that the 85 richest people on the planet have the same wealth as the poorest 50% (3.5 billion people).”

Link (to read more):

What does the Bible say about the “rich” or “what to do with wealth”?
Well, you cannot be a true Christian by hoarding “great” amounts of wealth (but you can be an atheist for sure). Being a Christian comes with great commands to “share”, “not hoard” and lastly, if you wish to move toward perfection, “you must let go of it”.

Here are the proof verses (read it for yourself instead of having anyone manipulating its meaning for what it is):

Our Blessed Lord preached it:

Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, “One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.“.” (Mark 10:21)

It’s been commanded even during Old Testament times:

Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?” (Isaiah 58:7)

Apostle James reminds that the “hoarding wealth” mentality will “eat your flesh like fire” on that Day:

Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days.” (James 5:3)

God rarely says that anything is “hard” for Him but He certainly mentioned that the “rich making it into His Kingdom” is “pretty hard”. I’m sure the Lord wasn’t ‘joking’ when He declared that:

Jesus looked at him and said, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!” (Luke 18:24)

The earliest church “lived it” (so they knew that Christ wasn’t joking):

All the believers were together and had everything in common.” (Acts 2:44)

and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need.” (Acts 2:45)

Remember that the “rich man” (whose only sin described was ‘living in luxury’ without regard for others – giving crumbs to the poor beggar Lazarus) made his way to Hades (Hell) in “fire” (note this ‘reason’ described below):

The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

“But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.” (Luke 16:22 – 25)

God is Perfectly fair.
You didn’t care to share “much”; neither will it be for the rich of this world who will be “condemned”.

The Bible has warned:

Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. ” (James 5:1 – 2)

You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.” (James 5:5 – 6)

Please don’t be deceived “otherwise”.

A comfort for the poor in this world by His Word (“listen”):

Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?” (James 2:5)

Read carefully (cannot means cannot):

No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” – Lord Jesus Christ (Matthew 6:24)

Similar Posts